[3DEM] RE: Why FEG?

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Fri Apr 23 12:07:16 PDT 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 7:08 AM, Philip Koeck wrote:

> From your plots it seems that you need a FEG to reach resolutions
> beyond about 3 A,
>
> But I can’t see any great advantage up to about 5 A resolution.
>
> Is that correct? (and what is all the excitement about then?)

Dear Philip,
	Since we look at biological cryo-specimens at large values of defocus
in order to get contrast, the first zero of the contrast transfer
function (CTF) may not be at high enough spatial frequency to give the
resolution we want.  If the beam is coherent--a FEG is the source that
provides the best coherence--we can compensate for the CTF and get
information at higher resolution than that first zero.  Uwe Lukens'
plot was for a 2um underfocus, and we often take data at more than 10
um underfocus, where the difference between the coherent and
non-coherent plots is significant much sooner than 0.5 nm.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager
Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility