Postdoc in electron tomography

David Stokes stokes at saturn.med.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 18 16:46:50 PST 2003

Postdoctoral Positions
Electron tomographic studies of intercellular junctions

Our laboratory is interested in the structural basis for cellular
adhesion, which is mediated by two types of intercellular junctions:
desmosomes and adherens junctions.  Although the molecular
constituents have been identified and some of their atomic structures
identified by x-ray crystallography, their organization in an intact
junction is largely unknown.  We are employing the technique of
electron tomography to study the structure of junctions in situ.  Our
first application has been on desmosomes, for which we have revealed
the packing of cadherin molecules within the intercellular space (see
He et al. Science 302:109 2003).  We seek motivated individuals to
expand these studies by studying the architecture of the
intracellular plaque as well as the architecture of the adherens
junctions.  Qualifications include a Ph.D. degree with interest in the
structural biology of complex cellular assemblies.  Experience in cell
culture, electron microscopy and image processing is highly desirable.
Available facilities include the Structural Biology Program in the
Skirball Institute at NYU School of Medicine as well as the new
Cryoelectron Microscopy Facility at the New York Structural Biology
Center.  Wages will be comparable to the NIH standard.  Interested
candidates with experience in the above methods should send c.v. and
names of three references to David Stokes at stokes at saturn.med.nyu.edu.

--
David L. Stokes
--