FEG microscope problems

Terje Dokland dokland at imcb.nus.edu.sg
Wed May 7 23:52:00 PDT 2003

We recently had a new JEOL 2010FEG microscope installed. However,
after installation, we find that there is not one, but four to six
beam spots!

The technician says it is due to magnetic interference. He also
claims that it has no effect on resolution, and that may be true with
respect to gold or graphite, but I'm sure it can't be very good for
coherence and phase contrast, and hence the whole purpose for having
an FEG is lost!

Has anybody else had such experience with an FEG microscope? Was it
due to magnetic interference, and was there a way to fix it? We will
try a magnetic field canceler in a few weeks time. Is this likely to
work? Suggestions are welcome, as I am not too happy to pay for the
microscope until this problem has been solved!

terje

--
Dr. Terje Dokland
E-mail: dokland at imcb.nus.edu.sg

"Convictions are greater enemies of truth than lies"
				F. Nietzsche
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list