Kodak SO163 Dose vs OD behavior

Bob Grassucci bobg at wadsworth.org
Wed Jan 8 13:55:35 PST 2003

Hi all,
         Happy New Year.  I am reporting here the results of the
calibration of old vs new Kodak SO163 emulsion.  At 300 kV and at
38,500  developed 12 minutes in full strength D19 at 20 degrees C the new
SO163 is about 10% lower density than the old emulsion.
    * At 10 e/A^2 the OD is 0.7472 with the old emulsion and 0.7104 with
the new emulsion
    * At 20 e/A^2 the OD is 1.3146 with the old and 1.1836 with the new
    * At 30 e/A^2 the OD is 1.7595 with the old and 1.6343 with the new
    * At 40 e/A^2 the OD is 2.1453 with the Old and 1.9976 with the new
    * At 50 e/A^2 the OD is 2.4372 with the Old and 2.2934 with the new
It seems almost as if there is slightly less silver in the new emulsion
since I have heard another report that at even lower doses the old emulsion
could be pushed to get more OD with little increase in fog level.  The new
emulsion does not seem to have that ability.
         Bob

Robert Grassucci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute at The Wadsworth Center
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509
Phone: (518)474-5821
Fax: (518)486-2191
E-Mail: bobg at wadsworth.org
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list