Call for Papers: JSB Special Issue on Analytical Methods and Software Tools for Macromolecular Microscopy

Bridget Carragher bcarr at scripps.edu
Thu Feb 13 11:21:03 PST 2003

Journal of Structural Biology

Special Issue on Analytical Methods and Software Tools for Macromolecular
Microscopy
Bridget Carragher and Pawel A. Penczek, Guest Editors

The Journal of Structural Biology invites submissions to a special issue on
Analytical Methods and Software Tools for Macromolecular Microscopy.   This
will serve partly as a follow up to an earlier JSB Special Issue on Image
Processing that appeared in 1996 (Volume 116 (1996)) and included articles
about most of the software tools in common use in cryo-electron microscopy
at that time.  Several other Special Issues since that time have focused on
similarly technical issues in this area; for example Volume 125 on
Molecular Visualization Software (Smith, Engel, Steven) in 1999 and Volume
133 on Single Particle Methods (Chiu and Ludtke) in 2001.

Given the explosive growth of structural biology over the past several
years and in particular the intense current interest in the techniques of
macromolecular microscopy we think the time is ripe for another special
issue that will gather together the current research and progress in the
methods and tools that are used in the structural analysis of macromolecules.

We thus invite submission of manuscripts of relevance to Analytical Methods
and Software Tools developed for Macromolecular Microscopy.  Topics of
interest include, but are not necessarily limited to:
·       Analytical methods and techniques for data processing and
interpretation
·       Numerical methods and software packages for the analysis and
reconstruction of single particle, helices, icosahedral viruses and
two-dimensional crystals.
·       Algorithms relevant to the analysis and reconstruction of
tomographic data.
·       Tools and techniques for fitting and modeling
·       Data mining methods and tools

We seek manuscripts that are theoretical, methodological, or issue-focused
in addition to those that report original research.  We will also consider
review papers that provide an overview and summary of any of the relevant
topics of interest.  We will not include papers that would serve only as a
tutorial on how to use a specific software tool or system.  If in doubt as
to the suitability of your manuscript for inclusion in the special issue
please contact either Bridget Carragher (bcarr at uiuc.edu) or Pawel A.
Penczek (Pawel.A.Penczek at uth.tmc.edu) to discuss the matter prior to
submission.

The deadline for receipt of manuscripts for the Special Issue is 1 June 2003.
Manuscripts will be peer-reviewed using the criteria of the Journal of
Structural Biology (see http://www.academicpress.com/jsb.
Submissions should be sent as an email attachment to either Bridget
Carragher (bcarr at scripps.edu) or Pawel Penczek (Pawel.A.Penczek at uth.tmc.edu).

Bridget Carragher, Associate Professor
Automated Molecular Imaging Group, Department of Cell Biology
The Scripps Research Institute, MC CB129,10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La
Jolla, CA 92037
tel: (858) 784-9070; fax: (858) 784-9090; bcarr at scripps.edu;
http://ami.scripps.edu