Postdoc Position in NY

David Stokes stokes at saturn.med.nyu.edu
Mon Apr 16 07:37:22 PDT 2001

               POSTDOCTORAL POSITION
       ELECTRON CRYSTALLOGRAPHY / TOMOGRAPHY
                NEW YORK UNIVERSITY

Two projects are possible. (1) To determine the structure of
ATP-dependent ion pumps (P-type ATPases) by cryoelectron microscopy of
tubular crystals. Our lab has ongoing projects with Ca-ATPase and
Na,K-ATPase and seeks to expand to related transporters from bacterial
sources that transport transition or heavy metals. (2) We are
initiating a new project involving electron tomography of cell
junctions from cultured keratinocytes. We will start by cutting
sections of embedded tissue and then implementing established methods
for automated data collection and 3D reconstruction.  Whereas the
former project is well established in our laboratory and has a high
certainty of rapid progress, the latter project offers an opportunity
to initiate something new.

Recent publications:

Rice, W.J., H.S. Young, D.W. Martin, J.R. Sachs,
D.L. Stokes. 2000. Structure of Na+,K+-ATPase at 11A Resolution:
Comparison with Ca2+-ATPase in E1 and E2 States. Biophys. J. May issue.

Young, H.S., C. Xu, P. Zhang, D.L Stokes. 2000. Locating the
Thapsigargin Binding Site on Ca2+-ATPase by Cryoelectron
Microscopy. J. Mol. Biol. 308:231-240.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: PhD degree. Interest in structure/function of ion
transport
and/or cell biology of cellular junctions. Although we are willing
and able to train people in technical aspects of these projects,
experience in 2D crystallization, Fourier methods or electron
microscopy would be a big bonus. Good computer skills including some
programming would also be helpful.

TO APPLY: Please send your C.V. and names of 3 references to:
David Stokes
Skirball Institute
NYU School of Medicine
540 First Ave.
New York, NY 10016
fax: 212-263-1580
email: stokes at saturn.med.nyu.edu
web: http://saturn.med.nyu.edu/~stokes

with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list