Scanners

Terje Dokland dokland at ima.org.sg
Fri Sep 8 02:16:29 PDT 2000

>    I'm looking for a  scanner to use for electron micrographs and would
>like to hear some suggestions. I've been considering the Zeiss SCAI
>which I know some people in the 3D community uses. However, the price
>tag is very high and I heard in the past about performance problems and
>less than optimal service from Zeiss in the USA.

Dear Hernando,

I bought the Eurocore (now Dunvegan) FAG Hi-Scan rotating drum
scanner. Probably not as good as the Zeiss but much cheaper
(~US$ 18,000, against the Zeiss' ~$100,000). It works ok. I have made a
reconstruction from scans made on it, but couldn't tell you if it is
capable of very high resolution. The software is quite nice and simple,
but the mounting of negatives on the drum is very awkward (you use tape).
The smallest spot size you can scan is 10um, but apparently a special
aperture can be installed which gives you 5um if necessary.

Note that we have had BIG problems with the focusing mechanism, which
jams, rendering the machine unusable. We had to send the machine back
for modification. Apparently, this problem is caused by the high humidity
here in Singapore, so if you are in a dry air environment, or get their
modified version (stronger focusing motor) then it should be no problem.

terje

>--
>
>-----------------------------------
>Hernando Sosa
>Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics
>Ullman Bldg, room 217.
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>1300 Morris Park Avenue,
>Bronx NY 10461
>phone:  718-430-3451
>fax: 718-430-8819
>email: hsosa at aecom.yu.edu

------------------------------------
Terje Dokland
Senior Scientist
Institute of Molecular Agrobiology
1 Research Link
The National University of Singapore
Singapore 117604
Phone: 65-872 7405  Fax: 65-872 7007
E-mail: dokland at ima.org.sg

"Convictions are greater enemies of truth than lies"
				F. Nietzsche

with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list