TEM resolution

Philip Koeck philip.koeck at csb.ki.se
Mon Dec 4 07:44:36 PST 2000

Hallo everybody,

I've started wondering about what actually the point resolution of
a TEM in phase-contrast imaging is.

>From Raleigh's criterion I would conclude that for a typical 120 kV
TEM with a numerical aperture of about 20 mrad distances larger than
about  2 Angstrom or 'density waves' with a wavelength longer than
2 Angstrom simply cannot be resolved.

In Scherzer defocus the Phase Contrast Transfer Function (PCTF) has its
first zero at about the same resolution but there seems to be
information
at higher frequencies (even if it is inverted in contrast).

Which is the true resolution limit?

Yours sincerely,

Philip

--
Philip Koeck
Karolinska Institutet
Email: Philip.Koeck at csb.ki.se
http://www.csb.ki.se/em
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list